According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the number of traffic fatalities in the United States in the first nine months of 2020 saw an increase of approximately 4.6% compared to the same period in 2019. The increase in fatalities nationally and across Florida occurred despite reduced traffic due to the stay-at-home orders and COVID lockdowns, and it has been surprising. Many of these fatal accidents have resulted from excessive speeding, reckless driving, and lack of enforcement.
At the Glober Law Firm, I am committed to providing experienced legal guidance and compassionate representation to traffic accident victims and their families. As your legal counsel, I can review and investigate the details of your personal situation and explore your options to recover damages. As a knowledgeable Florida personal injury attorney, I will fight aggressively to protect your rights and help you seek compensation for your injuries or loss. My firm proudly serves clients throughout Jacksonville Beach, Duval County, Jacksonville, St. Johns County, and the entire state of Florida.
Traffic Fatality Statistics
According to a study released by the NTSA, preliminary projections of traffic fatalities for the first nine months of 2020 (January to September) indicate that there were 28,190 reported fatalities in motor vehicle traffic crashes across the United States. This represents a 4.6% increase over the 26,941 fatalities reported to have occurred from January to September in 2019.
Furthermore, preliminary data from the Florida Department for Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles shows there were 3,303 reported fatalities in car crashes in 2020. The previous year saw 3,192 fatalities.
Why Have Traffic Fatalities
Increased During the Pandemic?
Even with the reduced traffic during the pandemic, there has been an increase in the number of traffic deaths. Some reasons why fatalities have increased include:
- Reckless driving or risky driving behavior due to few motor vehicles on the road
- Excessive speeding due to limited vehicle movements and open roads
- Lack of enforcement
- Reduced number of traffic stops
- Aggressive, distracted, and impaired driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
National Safety Council Recommendations
Below are some recommendations from the National Safety Council for reducing roadway fatalities during COVID lockdowns:
- Motorists and road users should implement the highest level of roadway safety while driving
- Driving safely should be considered a form of civic responsibility for everyone
- Change the way people use and think about transportation in order to reduce traffic crashes, injuries, and fatalities
- Emphasize the need to have goods and services in close proximity to where people live
- Fleet and workplace drivers should manage fatigue properly
- Drivers should be put through basic reminders and training refresher courses regularly
- Drivers should follow the rules of the road appropriately
- To stay safe, drivers and motorists must avoid any form of distractions and expect pedestrians everywhere
Most importantly, safety should be considered as a non-negotiable core value.
When Accidents Happen, Call an Attorney
Traffic collisions often have long-lasting consequences on the lives of accident victims and their loved ones. Such a devastating incident can affect you physically, emotionally, and financially. Some accidents may even lead to the death of a loved one. You don’t have to face these challenges alone. Hiring an experienced personal injury attorney who understands the harm done to you is the first step to protecting your rights and pursuing compensation for your injuries or loss.
At Glober Law Firm, I handle a wide range of personal injury matters, including auto accident cases. As your legal counsel, I can help:
- Review the details of your case and conduct a thorough, private investigation
- Gather relevant information, evidence, witness statements, and documentation
- Seek to prove fault and establish liability
- Engage experts such as doctors and engineers to help prove your case
- Determine the full magnitude of your injuries and estimate case-value
- Negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance carrier
- Take additional legal action, if required
I will fight compassionately on your behalf to protect your rights, represent your best interests, and work to ensure that the responsible parties are held accountable. Having a board-certified specialist like me on your side can improve your chances of obtaining the best available outcome in your personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit.
Hire Experienced Representation for Your Car Accident Case
Contact me at Glober Law Firm today to schedule a consultation to discuss your situation. I can fight aggressively to protect your rights and help you pursue fair financial compensation for your injuries. My firm is proud to serve clients throughout Jacksonville Beach, Duval County, Jacksonville, and the entire state of Florida.