Auto AccidentsCan I Sue The City If I Was Hurt On The Bus?

July 1, 2020

Buses offer a cheaper and more convenient means of transportation for commuters and students. Unfortunately, these buses are also vulnerable to accidents. If you were hurt on the bus, you may have questions about your best course of action:

  • Who can I hold liable for my injuries?
  • Can I sue the city or bus driver for damages?
  • How will I recover compensation for my injuries and damages?

The period after being involved in a bus accident can be quite terrifying. I can answer your questions about who to hold responsible for your injuries and whether you can recover damages. Glober Law Firm is proud to serve personal injury victims throughout Jacksonville Beach, Jacksonville, Duval County, and other neighboring areas of Florida.


Every year, buses are involved in about 63,000 traffic accidents. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) statistics, between 2007 and 2017, intercity buses accounted for 13 percent, school buses accounted for 40 percent, and transit buses accounted for 35 percent of all buses involved in fatal crashes across the nation. Some common causes of bus accidents include:

  • The design of the bus
  • Drivers operating the bus while intoxicated
  • Distracted driving
  • Driving while fatigued
  • Speeding
  • Driver error such as failure to follow traffic signs, failing to see other vehicles, and improper overtaking
  • Defective bus equipment
  • Poor road conditions
  • Uneven weight distribution

There are also several factors of bus travel that can contribute to severe injury including:

  • Not providing seat belts for passengers
  • Not securing passengers’ possessions or load properly


When involved or injured in a bus accident, your legal options include:

Sue the Other Driver

In some cases, the bus accident occurred due to the other driver’s carelessness or negligence. If you were injured as a passenger on the bus, you may be able to hold the at-fault driver liable and recover claims for your damages, medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering.

Sue the City

Some buses that operate in Florida are owned by government entities, such as public transportation bureaus and school districts. If you were injured as a passenger on the bus, you may need to file a personal injury claim with the government entity. However, filing injury claims with a government body can be really complicated. Your Florida personal injury attorney can offer you the detailed guidance you need.


To sue the city, you will need to file a notice of claim with the government. The claims usually include information such as:

  • Your name and address
  • A statement of your intent to seek compensation for your injuries and/or property damage caused by the negligent act of the government entity
  • A description of the time, place, and circumstances that caused the bus accident
  • The nature of your injuries, damages, or losses

However, the procedures for filing a claim vary by city. Hiring an experienced Florida personal injury attorney is vital to protect your rights, help you file claims, and recover damages.


A bus accident can cause devastating long-term consequences to your physical, emotional, and financial health. Fortunately, you don’t have to go through the pain and suffering alone. You need to retain a knowledgeable personal injury attorney immediately to protect your rights and help you pursue compensation.

For more than 30 years, I have been providing strong representation to clients in matters of bus accidents and personal injury. I have dedicated my career to protecting the rights of personal injury victims and their families. I will help you with the following:

  • Review your case and conduct a thorough investigation
  • Gather all required evidence and obtain all necessary documentation
  • Devise a strategy to prove liability and fault
  • Determine and establish case-value
  • Handle all communication and negotiations on your behalf while you focus on recovery
  • Negotiate a fair financial settlement with the insurance company or government entity

If necessary, I will also help you file a personal injury lawsuit. I will fight to ensure that the right people are held accountable and help you pursue fair financial compensation for your damages, injuries, medical cost, lost income, pain, and suffering, or loss. With me on your side, you can have the peace of mind that my experience and expertise in personal injury will represent your best interest.


If you or your loved one were hurt in a bus accident caused by another party’s negligent act, contact Glober Law Firm to schedule a case evaluation. I will review your case and carry out a comprehensive investigation. I will fight to protect your rights and help you recover compensation for your injuries and damages. I proudly serve clients in Jacksonville Beach, Jacksonville, Duval County, St. Johns County and throughout Florida. Call my law firm today to speak with an experienced Florida personal injury attorney.
48-49 Russell Square, WC1B 4JP, London
1 800 643 4300

Follow us:


Goldenblatt Law Firm SRA ref 669401. Calls may be recorded for quality and training purposes.

Copyright © Goldenblatt 2019


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

© 2024 All Rights Reserved.  Site Map | Privacy Policy